Do you hear that? That’s the gamer rallying cry…it tolls for thee. Ben is once again prepping for a holy pilgrimage to that big, bright beautiful world of Gen Con. Always in search of the perfect pack, the Pile crew has created a handy PDF checklist to ensure you’re prepared and able to go forth to game with great success.
You might remember the quirky little video Ben threw together back in 2010 before he hopped on a plane to Indy that year. Well, he’s continued to hone his luggage craft and made some noteworthy adjustments. Here’s the good news though – this packing guide works for any convention…Comic, Dragon, Gen or other.
Click here to pop open the epic-tier list before you stuff your bag. Regardless of what suggested items make the cut, resist the urge to do it at the last minute or wing it. Sure, you can spend big dollars to cover any accidental miscues but wouldn’t that hard-earned coin be better spent in the tantalizing dealer hall? Of course it would. So, why not have a reference sheet handy and play it smart? Besides, forgetting stuff is a bummer and your time at the Con should only include mad happiness.
Here are some highlights from this year’s packing list conglomeration:
- A good badge holder for your neck – avoid pick pocket risks.
- Proper socks – try the Balega, an especially comfy brand.
- Flippy Floppies – make your flight check-in easy.
- Battery Packs – save you when you forget to charge.
- Mixing Powders – water is cheaper and easier to obtain.
- Hand Sanitizer – be mindful of dreaded Con crud.
- Group Gifts – framing last year’s pic is cheap & easy.
And here’s Ben’s annual hunting and gathering acquisition list for the Pile:
- Extra miniature singles for the Pyramid of Shadows module
- The new tomb terrain from Gale Force Nine (hopefully)
- Caverns of the Underdark 3D Set also from GF9 (hopefully)
- Litko’s Horse, Character Mount Marker kit
- A good game t-shirt or two
- Anything Dwarven Forge
- Paizo’s Shattered Star miniatures preview
- Anything Egyptian themed
- Pro painted metal miniatures
- Gen Con annual dice set
- Reaper’s Pre-painted Giant Spider (yellow version)
- A new Game Science Dice Set
If you are fortunate enough to go to the Con, Ben hopes to bump into you for a hearty handshake. If it just wasn’t in the cards this year, enjoy our Sights and Sounds video while you plan and save for next August.
Editor’s Note: No post slated for 8/18, y’all. Ben will be knee-deep in re-supplying the Pile for the coming year. Thanks for understanding.
Questions to Ponder: What did Ben forget? Anything worth passing on? Are you lucky enough to be within driving distance of Indy? If so, do you pack differently? Got an amusing packing story? How many times have you traveled to Indy for the Con?